Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Time to close guild recruitment?

Go down 
+4
Rashad
Ravil
Alberich
Sedrian
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Sedrian
Theroshan
Theroshan
Sedrian

Character sheet
Name: Sedrian Araveromon
Race: Nemedian
Clan: Balance

Time to close guild recruitment? Empty
PostSubject: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Althoguh its most guilds aspiration to become as large as possible, whether for the best or not it tends to be expected that bigger is better, I believe its time to close applications now until launch for a couple of reasons:

1)Those who join now are going to be too new come launch day and seem segregated from those of us who have come to know eachother.

2) A few of the applications ive read lately seem rather lacking and im not sure those who are seeking us out this close to launch really fit in with the guild both ICly and on an OOC level.

Obvioulsy then come launch we can begin to give IC interviews and get a better idea of who is fit for the guild and who is not.

Back to the problem with recent applications, ive also noticed that a few of them dont really grasp the idea of RP, with regards to naming, originality of character, descriptions and backgrounds...and as easy as it is to tell someone what to do in order to better their application it isnt really helping in regards to their future with the guild.

I apologise if my opinion may seem elitist, but im just speaking (typing) my mind which is better than saying (again typing) what people want to hear.
Back to top Go down
Alberich
Theroshan
Theroshan
Alberich

Character sheet
Name: Alberich
Race: Aesir
Clan: Nature

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 4:15 pm

Quote :
1)Those who join now are going to be too new come launch day and seem segregated from those of us who have come to know each other.

2) A few of the applications ive read lately seem rather lacking and im not sure those who are seeking us out this close to launch really fit in with the guild both ICly and on an OOC level.

Obviously then come launch we can begin to give IC interviews and get a better idea of who is fit for the guild and who is not.

Back to the problem with recent applications, ive also noticed that a few of them dont really grasp the idea of RP, with regards to naming, originality of character, descriptions and backgrounds...and as easy as it is to tell someone what to do in order to better their application it isnt really helping in regards to their future with the guild.

I agree with Sedrian (seem to be agreeing alot today scratch ...), although instead of preventing recruitment perhaps we should just tighten up the requirements for entry? We could even create a roleplay thread in which they must introduce themselves/interact so we can get a feel for their grasp on Roleplaying, at least until launch where it can be done in-game.
Back to top Go down
Ravil
Balah
Balah
Ravil

Character sheet
Name: Ravil Burly
Race: Cimmerian
Clan: Dyma

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 8:24 pm

Volund wrote:

We could even create a roleplay thread in which they must introduce themselves/interact so we can get a feel for their grasp on Roleplaying
Nice idea Volund Smile maybe applications could be done in character, like "Greetings House of the New Dawn, my name is Ravil, my age is....." The applicant would tell their background story in character + describe what they look like as part of the application, Instead of how the current applications are done.

Then the guild could reply with comments and questions IC.
Back to top Go down
Rashad
Dathanar
Dathanar
Rashad

Character sheet
Name: Rashad Mahdi
Race: Stygian

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 8:29 pm

Volund wrote:

We could even create a roleplay thread in which they must introduce themselves/interact so we can get a feel for their grasp on Roleplaying

I like this aswell. I'm not for closing recruitment, I never will close recruitment, (unless the guild just gets too big to handle) But I do agree that the applications lately have been of low quality and I think this is because of a rush to want to join a guild before the game releases. Also, of course we'll be holding IC interviews when the game is actually released. I think a rp thread where the whole procedure of joining the guild is actually roleplayed through would be very nice.

More thoughts of this please.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hotnd.tk
Rashad
Dathanar
Dathanar
Rashad

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 8:42 pm

I've updated the applicants guide to reflect this suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Alberich
Theroshan
Theroshan
Alberich

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 9:00 pm

Perhaps we should keep the application system we have now, but in an IC form. They’re few ways it could be done. Either all written IC by the applicant like you mentioned above:

Quote :
"Greetings House of the New Dawn, my name is Ravil, my age is....."
Which is a lot like what we have now but written from their point of view (AKA Roleplaying Wink ).

Or we could have a sort of conversation/interview, a lot like a RL job interview. It could be perhaps be carried out by an interviewer or council that questions the purpose of the person in Kathia and asks their history etc. The quality of the applicant could be judged by their role-playing skills and the ability to respond well IC. I would imagine that many an immigrant would travel to a large, successful city, be they peasant or hero.

There must be some sort of immigration control for Kathia and maybe someone in a high rank within the New Dawn could be appointed "Interviewer" (can't think of an IC rank/role/title) and they could handle "immigration".
If the council is seen as a better option then there could be the Dathanar and all the Dorini present. This way important questions can be asked and the best clan for the applicant "suggested".
Back to top Go down
Rashad
Dathanar
Dathanar
Rashad

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 9:12 pm

I've been thinking of making a peoples office sort of institution where all the ranks, marriages, things like that are handled, this would be another task for such an administration. This would be a sort of "extra caricular" or what you want to call it activity like the research branch is.
Back to top Go down
Shadoloo Tan
Dorini of Balance
Dorini of Balance
Shadoloo Tan

Character sheet
Name: Shadoloo Tan

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 6:43 pm

More stringent rules for acceptance are always good. You will never feel like a true member if it is as simple as "Can i join...?" "Yeah sure".

Applicants having to interact on the forum, and join in, and RP on the public boards before even being considered is a great idea.

Also i know some younger members will disagree but i think a 18+ RL age policy should be enforced.
Back to top Go down
Lapis
Dorini of Lore
Dorini of Lore
Lapis

Character sheet
Name: Lapis Nithotep
Clan: Lore

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 2:18 am

I agree with a more restrective but open menbership-policy. People must LIKE to put an effort in the storytelling and interaction. Those that don't will only feel badly treated here - there are loads of other guilds that they will be very happy to play with.
Back to top Go down
Perennial
Theroshan
Theroshan
Perennial

Character sheet
Name: Ravenna Perennial

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 1:52 pm

Ha, let me be the final nail in the coffin!

Last edited by Perennial on Sat May 10, 2008 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Atherius
Theroshan
Theroshan
Atherius

Character sheet
Name: Atherius Delaan
Race: Aquilonian

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 2:10 pm

I hope we are making a guild and not a coffin Laughing
Back to top Go down
Alberich
Theroshan
Theroshan
Alberich

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 4:21 pm

Quote :
Also i know some younger members will disagree but i think a 18+ RL age policy should be enforced.
I agree at the same time as damning myself, being 17 (18 in August though... Smile ). I consider myself mature for my age but I've come across so many under 18's in Roleplaying guilds that are just like you'd expect... Kids.
Back to top Go down
Lapis
Dorini of Lore
Dorini of Lore
Lapis

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 9:35 pm

You are fine with me Volund, and I am 39. But you really should read up on scandinavian mythology ;-)
Back to top Go down
Perennial
Theroshan
Theroshan
Perennial

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 9:39 pm

Lapis wrote:
You are fine with me Volund, and I am 39. But you really should read up on scandinavian mythology ;-)

Ah, the only 'true' mythology there is! No, not really.

But, if you want to read about the mysticism of norse mythology á runes, read about the Adulruna Rediviva.
Back to top Go down
Lapis
Dorini of Lore
Dorini of Lore
Lapis

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 9:51 pm

Perennial wrote:
But, if you want to read about the mysticism of norse mythology á runes, read about the Adulruna Rediviva.
If you are into original mytholoy I'd recommend not reading Johan Bure's "Adelrune", since it is an occult rennaisance creation (that rewrote the runic alphabeth into a form that was inspired by kabbalah) that has very little in common with what we know today about legendry, religion and worldwiews in old scandinavian folklore. There are better and more inspirational sources such as the original texts such as the poetic and prosaic Edda.
Back to top Go down
Perennial
Theroshan
Theroshan
Perennial

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 9:55 pm

Lapis wrote:
Perennial wrote:
If you are into original mytholoy I'd recommend not reading Johan Bure's "Adelrune", since it is an occult rennaisance creation (that rewrote the runic alphabeth into a form that was inspired by kabbalah) that has very little in common with what we know today about legendry, religion and worldwiews in old scandinavian folklore. There are better and more inspirational sources such as the original texts such as the poetic and prosaic Edda.

Yet it goes back way to the time when runes where inscribed. And frankly it's very interesting to read about. I could recommend 'Uthark - Nightside of the Runes' by Thomas Karlsson.
Of course, you should take it with a pince of salt if you have a hard time with 'magik' and such.
Back to top Go down
Lapis
Dorini of Lore
Dorini of Lore
Lapis

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 10:08 pm

Perennial wrote:
Yet it goes back way to the time when runes where inscribed. And frankly it's very interesting to read about.
This post might sound harsh, but it is written in a good and friendly mood. I won't start an argument about this (because it will be an heated one), but the thing I have something against is when people recreates something into something else but still claim it is "the original secret". Especially since mythology and mysticism is one of my big interests (anthropologically, not as in practicing).

"Adelrune" IS an innovation of Johan Bure, and he drew from what little that he managed to pick together and mixed it with Kabbala that was very popular among mystics in his time. The runes themselves are originally inspired by other written languages, particulary greek and latin, directly and via other runic systems) and the various divination systems that are used today are new inventions that draw on the old symbology and mythology, but no unbroken tradition exist on the handling of runes. Any such claims are false, but I don't see why that shoyld be a problem for those that believe in the power of runes etc. I mean - even the tarot is relatively modern, not to mention astrology with planets other than the ones that can be seen by eye alone.
Perennial wrote:
I could recommend 'Uthark - Nightside of the Runes' by Thomas Karlsson.
Of course, you should take it with a pince of salt if you have a hard time with 'magik' and such.
I have discussed the Uthark with Thomas and he has the sense to admit that his system is an innovation of his own, but that he feel it creates a good framework for the magic he believes in.
Back to top Go down
Perennial
Theroshan
Theroshan
Perennial

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 10:11 pm

Lapis wrote:
Perennial wrote:
Yet it goes back way to the time when runes where inscribed. And frankly it's very interesting to read about.
This post might sound harsh, but it is written in a good and friendly mood. I won't start an argument about this (because it will be an heated one), but the thing I have something against is when people recreates something into something else but still claim it is "the original secret". Especially since mythology and mysticism is one of my big interests (anthropologically, not as in practicing).

"Adelrune" IS an innovation of Johan Bure, and he drew from what little that he managed to pick together and mixed it with Kabbala that was very popular among mystics in his time. The runes themselves are originally inspired by other written languages, particulary greek and latin, directly and via other runic systems) and the various divination systems that are used today are new inventions that draw on the old symbology and mythology, but no unbroken tradition exist on the handling of runes. Any such claims are false, but I don't see why that shoyld be a problem for those that believe in the power of runes etc. I mean - even the tarot is relatively modern, not to mention astrology with planets other than the ones that can be seen by eye alone.
Perennial wrote:
I could recommend 'Uthark - Nightside of the Runes' by Thomas Karlsson.
I have discussed the Uthark with Thomas and he has the sense to admit that his system is an innovation of his own, but that he feel it creates a good framework for the magic he believes in.

Hands down ^^

I won't send myself blazing into an argument I can't win (:
I don't know awfully much, like you seem to do, to continue this.

And kudos for you for meeting Thomas. He is very inspiring.
Back to top Go down
Lapis
Dorini of Lore
Dorini of Lore
Lapis

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 10:32 pm

Perennial wrote:
Well, Sweden isn't very big, and the Internet is even smaller.
Back to top Go down
Perennial
Theroshan
Theroshan
Perennial

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 10:36 pm

Lapis wrote:
Perennial wrote:
Well, Sweden isn't very big, and the Internet is even smaller.

/signed.
Back to top Go down
Alberich
Theroshan
Theroshan
Alberich

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 11:01 pm

Quote :

I keep meaning to... promise Embarassed.

In general I haven't found much "interesting" sources on the net. I might have to buy/borrow some books on the subject as I can't read for hours sitting on a desk chair.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time to close guild recruitment?   Time to close guild recruitment? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time to close guild recruitment?
Page 1 of 1